C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Did the standard committee vote to make integer comparisons do the right thing?

From: Shachar Shemesh <shachar_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 13:17:15 +0200

On 07/11/2019 0:49, Thiago Macieira via Std-Discussion wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 14:37:59 PST Brian Bi wrote:
The version of the story I heard is that if there's no type that can
represent all values of both types being compared, then the comparison
still has to yield the correct result, even though it might be "slow".
I don't think "slow" is acceptable. There's WAY too much code that performs
comparisons between signed and unsigned that would be affected.

Then how about "error out"?

Shachar