[SG20] A draft paper to fix the range-based for loop to make it teachable

From: Nicolai Josuttis <nico_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:24:55 +0100
Hi,

for years, I have significant problems to teach the range-based for
loop, because of the bug that it has undefined behavior when iterating
over a reference to a temporary.
Thus, I
- either have to tell beginners significant constraints in using it
- or have to teach all the details why it is broken
  including references, lifetime extension, universal references

Attached is a draft paper to fix the problem.
I welcome all feedback and if you want to be a co-author
(the more support the paper has the better).

Please also tell me if you have yourself significant teaching problems
there or interesting war stories about the problem.
There is a surprising number of people who thinks this is not a problem
at all.

May be SG20 can support the paper as a whole,
because IMO we really have to heal C++ to make it teachable again.

Best
  Nico

Note: So far I was not a member of this email list;
so forgive me if this was discussed before.

--
Nicolai M. Josuttis
www.josuttis.de