Feedback request for teaching-topic interactions

From: Florian Sattler <sattlerf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 17:49:13 +0100
In our last SG20 meeting we talked about dependencies/interactions
between teaching topics and if we should specify some of them.

To clarify this a bit further. http://wg21.link/p1389 defines some
teaching topics and http://wg21.link/p1725 refines this a bit more by
grouping them into teaching modules.
For more information see section p1725 §2 [1].

In our discussion we talked about what dependencies/interactions we
could specify/describe between the topics to help teachers plan their
courses. The goal is to show what inter-topic dependencies exist,
so they can adapt/build their course plans with respect to them. It
should not be a hard requirement to follow these but a help not to
overlook them.*

Two types of interactions that could help are:
-> "Requires knowledge" (Topic A requires knowledge of B)
For example:
 (virtual functions -> member functions)
Here, we could also add how they are related, i.e., what of B is needed
to understand A.

+ "Should/could be taught together" (A should be taught together with B)
Two examples could be:
 (rule-of-zero + rule-of-five)
or
 (constructors + destructors)

For a non-exhausive list of modules/topics see p1725 §4 [2]
Currently there are topics missing, if you have one that should be
included please tell use and we'll discuss this in our next meeting.

--- Request for input ---
To get a better understanding of the interactions between teaching
topics it would be helpful to get feedback from a wider group of people.
Here we would like to get more input from SG20 mailing list.

I'm currently try to collect a list of interactions (-> or +). If you
have good examples please write me.
---
thanks for the help and with kind Regards,
Florian
*The rough idea here is to provide a small tool, or for example a
website, that allows a teacher to select and order topics for a course.
The tool shows all topics and interactions between them and hints the
user about missed interaction between selected topics.
[1]:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1725r1.html#motivation
[2]:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1725r1.html#a-non-exhausive-list-of-modules