Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-10-06 SG16 telecon

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:35:35 +0200
On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 8:31 AM Hubert Tong via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I have reviewed a version of D1885R8 that was fresh as of a few hours ago.
>
> I appreciate the prose additions. Thank you, Corentin and Jens. Much
> progress has been made.
>
> Some feedback below:
>
> The prose should not state that the "C" locale is associated with US-ASCII.
> Big5 and Extended_UNIX_Code_Fixed_Width_for_Japanese use fixed-width
> two-byte sequences. That is not equivalent to using 16-bit encoding units.
> In particular, correct implementations of the encoding would have lead
> bytes at lower addresses and the value of the same character would
> therefore appear as different 16-bit values depending on the endianness of
> the system.
> The statement that "the size of code units of individual encodings is not
> exposed by IANA" really ignores RFC 2978 (which still provides the
> framework for registration), which clearly indicates that all charsets
> operate on sequences of octets. I think I got my answer from various
> reflector responses, but: The question I had started a whole thread with
> was how the octet values were to be extracted from C++ types that are not 8
> bits, and I don't think the paper answers that question (it gives the
> conclusion based on an answer that is assumed and not stated). I think it
> would be accurate to say that some sort of object-representation based
> model is the one the paper advocates, so the paper should say "under an
> object-representation based model, 0-padded forms are distinct from the
> unpadded encoding".

I am happy to add that wording

> To be consistent, the wide EBCDIC example should also include the size in
> the associated name.
>

> Concern for SG 16 to evaluate:
> The recommended practice re: UTF-16 and UTF-32 is not consistent with
> getting the correct treatment out of interfaces that attempt to read the
> wide character data as a byte stream (e.g., iconv) when there are invalid
> characters in a position to be confused as reverse-from-native-endian BOMs.

UTF-16 is synonymous to either UTF-16BE/UTF-16LE depending on the platform.
The endianness is implied by the platform, not by text_encoding.

> re: "antecedent", please use "precedent" or "antecedent example for such"
>
> The recommended practice regarding (non-)use of registered encodings
> having single byte code units for the description of wide encodings ignores
> the fact that the UTF-16 encoding scheme has single byte code units (it is
> the encoding form that has 16-bit code units).
>
> The recommended practice regarding "byte-order agnostic encodings"
> presumably means that the appropriately sized C++ types are expected to
> have the same value for a character on different platforms (regardless of
> the platform endianness). See above in this note re: why the non-Unicode
> entries don't really fit.

No, maybe my phrasing is poor but text_encoding has no endianness
implication whatsoever.
The endianness implications come from the platform (the expectation being
that a little endian platform will use little endian to encode individual
wchar_t), and as such
a text_encoding returned from wide_literal will denote an endianness
because wchar_t has implied semantics, not because text_encoding has.

> Concern for SG 16 to evaluate:
> COMP_NAME is not agnostic to Unicode normalization differences. I strongly
> suggest making the name-accepting constructor impose a restriction on
> characters outside the basic character set.

I really do not think it's necessary, as the algorithm is well specified
regardless, but I can add a precondition

> With respect to the prohibition on using id::unknown with `wide_literal`,
> I ask that it be lifted. There is current implementation practice for a
> compiler to accept a (host system) locale name whereby `mbstowcs` is used
> to encode wide literals (and host locales can be user-defined).

Sure, I'm okay with that.