Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-10-06 SG16 telecon

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 02:30:38 -0400
I have reviewed a version of D1885R8 that was fresh as of a few hours ago.

I appreciate the prose additions. Thank you, Corentin and Jens. Much
progress has been made.

Some feedback below:

The prose should not state that the "C" locale is associated with US-ASCII.
Big5 and Extended_UNIX_Code_Fixed_Width_for_Japanese use fixed-width
two-byte sequences. That is not equivalent to using 16-bit encoding units.
In particular, correct implementations of the encoding would have lead
bytes at lower addresses and the value of the same character would
therefore appear as different 16-bit values depending on the endianness of
the system.
The statement that "the size of code units of individual encodings is not
exposed by IANA" really ignores RFC 2978 (which still provides the
framework for registration), which clearly indicates that all charsets
operate on sequences of octets. I think I got my answer from various
reflector responses, but: The question I had started a whole thread with
was how the octet values were to be extracted from C++ types that are not 8
bits, and I don't think the paper answers that question (it gives the
conclusion based on an answer that is assumed and not stated). I think it
would be accurate to say that some sort of object-representation based
model is the one the paper advocates, so the paper should say "under an
object-representation based model, 0-padded forms are distinct from the
unpadded encoding".
To be consistent, the wide EBCDIC example should also include the size in
the associated name.

Concern for SG 16 to evaluate:
The recommended practice re: UTF-16 and UTF-32 is not consistent with
getting the correct treatment out of interfaces that attempt to read the
wide character data as a byte stream (e.g., iconv) when there are invalid
characters in a position to be confused as reverse-from-native-endian BOMs.

re: "antecedent", please use "precedent" or "antecedent example for such"

The recommended practice regarding (non-)use of registered encodings having
single byte code units for the description of wide encodings ignores the
fact that the UTF-16 encoding scheme has single byte code units (it is the
encoding form that has 16-bit code units).

The recommended practice regarding "byte-order agnostic encodings"
presumably means that the appropriately sized C++ types are expected to
have the same value for a character on different platforms (regardless of
the platform endianness). See above in this note re: why the non-Unicode
entries don't really fit.

Concern for SG 16 to evaluate:
COMP_NAME is not agnostic to Unicode normalization differences. I strongly
suggest making the name-accepting constructor impose a restriction on
characters outside the basic character set.

With respect to the prohibition on using id::unknown with `wide_literal`, I
ask that it be lifted. There is current implementation practice for a
compiler to accept a (host system) locale name whereby `mbstowcs` is used
to encode wide literals (and host locales can be user-defined).