Re: [SG16] P2348: Feedback on r1 draft

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:13:09 -0400
Corentin, thank you. With the further clarity re: what *whitespace* is
meant to represent, I was able to do a more complete review.

Comments:
The removal of the first sentence in [lex.token] seems like a drive-by
change that I am not quite understanding the motivation for.

The comment grammar presentation is still, under the existing conventions
of reading, describing only comments with a "payload" of a single
character. Please refer to how *r-char-sequence* is defined for inspiration.

The addition of "*whitespace*s are ignored except as they serve to separate
tokens" in [lex.whitespaces] that was to be removed is still there (and the
sentence still begins with the lowercase grammar term).

The "*whitespace* containing" issue in [cpp.pre] still occurs in another
instance occurring after "followed by" (as opposed to the fixed instance
that occurred after "follows a"):
followed by *whitespace* containing a *line-break*
=>
followed by *whitespace*s containing a *line-break*

The "[only] *horizontal-whitespace*s" sentence in [cpp.pre] should be
removed or made a note (replacing "shall" with "can"). Also, as noted in
the SG 16 meeting, the removal of the existing diagnosable rule *does*
require changes to GCC's -pedantic-errors implementation: The "Do not
perform whitespace replacement" part of the design section of the paper
makes a statement that appears to be contrary to this fact.

For [cpp.replace.general]:
same number, ordering, spelling, and *whitespace* separation, where all
*whitespace* separations are considered identical
=>
same number, ordering, spelling, and separation with *whitespace*s, where
all sequences of one or more *whitespace*s are considered identical

There shall be *whitespace*
=>
There shall be one or more *whitespace*s

Any *whitespace* preceding
=>
Any *whitespace*s preceding

Important (!), in [cpp.stringize]:
Each occurence of *whitespace*
=>
Each sequence of one or more *whitespace*s

In [cpp.line]:
number of *line-break* read or introduced in translation phase 1
=>
number of *line-break*s resulting from translation phase 1