Re: [SG16] P1885: Naming text encodings: Encodings in the environment versus registered character sets

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:15:32 +0200
On 13/09/2021 07.44, Hubert Tong via SG16 wrote:
> In P1885, a registered character set is one that is in (at the point when the paper was written) the IANA character set registry. P1885 also provides static functions to query about the encoding used in either the translation or the execution environment. In some cases (involving subsets or supersets), there are questions of when an implementation should return a registered character set as the result of such static functions.

Slightly related: Given the fact that

 - new character sets are unlikely to be registered
(nobody hopefully creates a new character set these days, given Unicode)

 - the IANA list, and the names used, are internally inconsistent and/or have typos

 - the list seems rather unmaintained (given the previous item),

should we indeed continue to refer to IANA, or just use our own static list
in the standard?

Jens