Re: [SG16] Is the concept of basic execution character sets useful?

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 00:03:33 +0100
On 03/02/2021 19.22, Corentin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:41 PM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden] <mailto:Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

> I thought we had discussed that the standard library has certain
> facilities with locale-dependent character set.
> I haven't found a mention of "execution character set" in the library
> wording, so I'm interested in learning how these locale-dependent
> character sets are described / referenced.
>

> There is a whole new paragraph in the library introduction (page 10).

After a few easy fixes, it seems the library is not using the
term "execution character set" at all.

That means we don't need to define it, or the term "execution encoding".
std::isalpha and friends do whatever they do in C.

Also, strcpy and other similar C functions don't really deal in
characters, they deal in code units (= integer values), and they
don't care for the character set at all. If you combine compile-time
literals with runtime values (e.g. typed from a keyboard or taken
from argc/argv), you get what you get (possibly nonsense if one is
EBCDIC and the other is ASCII, for example).

I don't think we should improve on this situation in a
core-language character set cleanup paper.

I've updated my paper: https://wiki.edg.com/pub/Wg21telecons2021/SG16/charset.html
and I'm intending to submit it to the next mailing.

Jens