Re: [SG16] Reinterpreting pointers of character types

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:27:16 +0100
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 9:39 AM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 29/01/2021 08.20, Tom Honermann wrote:

> in generic code.

> precludes that - the sizeof(wchar_t) being platform dependant
> >> You only get away with char* -> char8_t* because "char" has special
> >> aliasing exceptions.
> >>
> >> You'll get the full set of aliasing concerns for
> >> wchar_t* -> char16_t* or char32_t*
> >
> > I think what we're looking for is a portable solution for this ICU hack <
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu/blob/master/icu4c/source/common/unicode/char16ptr.h#L30-L36>
> (generalized to make it work for [unsigned] char* conversion to char8_t*);
> the goal being to enable some form of explicit restricted pointer
> interconvertibility between same sized/aligned types.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I don't understand the ICU hack sufficiently well to relate it to a
> memory or object model. I'm also not sure that it actually works (though
> it may suffice for the scenarios that are encountered in practice).
> >
> > Perhaps something like this would suffice.
> >
> > template<typename To, typename From>
> > requires requires {
> > requires std::is_trivial_v<To>;
> > requires std::is_trivial_v<From>;
> > requires sizeof(To) == sizeof(From);
> > requires alignof(To) == alignof(From);
> > }
> > To* alias_barrier_cast(From *p) {
> > asm volatile("" : : "rm"(p) : "memory");
> > return reinterpret_cast<To*>(p);
> > }
>
> From a C++ memory model perspective, there is no difference between,
> say, char16_t and short or int: They form their own aliasing domain.
> Converting the pointer with reinterpret_cast or something is NOT
> the problem; the problem is accessing the data before and after.

The solution I'm thinking of is that the data can only be
accessed through the returned pointer after the function call.
Do you think that is more workable?

> There have been papers in the past that attempted to bless
> regions of memory with a different data type (e.g. to deal with
> mmapped file data); I think such a direction might be worthwhile
> to investigate.

> I certainly don't want to deal with a "solution" that covers
> char8_t / char16_t / char32_t only, if the underlying concerns
> are also applicable elsewhere.

Even if there was a use case for a generalized solution, we need to do
something specific for this as we have additional
preconditions, namely that the input is a well-formed sequence of utf code
units.