Re: [SG16] String literals and diagnostics

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:11:01 +0100
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:06 PM JF Bastien <cxx_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Your comment makes me realize that my thinking would probably make more
> sense if I shared its motivation: as a developer writing C++ code, I would
> like to be able to report facts to developers through static_assert /
> deprecated / etc. These facts are usually in ASCII, but some folks use
> other languages and supporting Unicode languages therefore makes sense.
> Those facts might be more nicely displayed with newlines. Those facts don't
> need control characters, even if color, blink, and changing the console's
> window title would be funny. I (as a C++ programmer, not committee member)
> would like this to be uniform between implementations.
>
> This is why I proposed the approach I did: as a user I don't really care
> about phases, QoI, etc. I think it's a useful framing for this problem,
> because agreeing on it helps figure out whether our solution actually helps
> people :)

I'm trying to understand your needs, actually whether it is:

1/ I want the compiler to escape all control/invisible characters in the
diagnostic message
2/ If an escape sequence appear verbatim in a string (aka "\u0042\x0042\t"
) then it should appear exactly like that in the diagnostic message even if
those escape sequences represent displayable characters