Re: [SG16] SG16 meeting summary for December 9th, 2020

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 13:32:20 -0500
On 12/31/20 11:15 AM, Victor Zverovich wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for putting together meeting notes. All looks good with two
> minor comments:
>
> * Russian console encoding is CP866, not CP868.

Ah, good catch! Thank you and fixed.

> * I can confirm that there was a mistake in the Java experiment
> results in the slides presented at the meeting (sorry for that): Java
> didn't produce a correct UTF-8 file but a file that was in CP1251 with
> replacement characters. I see the notes already mention that which is
> great. The paper will contain the correct results and I've added
> validation code to make sure that the strings are actually in some UTF
> as discussed at the meeting.

Thank you for confirming that and no need to apologize of course!

As an aside, I've been doing some experiments with the Windows console
and I'm now considerably less confident about the preference I
previously expressed about wanting std::print() to transcode to the
system/run-time encoding; at least some utilities are more apt to use
the console encoding over the system/ACP encoding (or no encoding; just
bytes) than I realized. I need to experiment more, but will start a new
email thread with some details soon.

Happy New Year!
Tom.