[SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow, Wednesday, 2020-12-09

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 13:29:01 -0500
This is your friendly reminder that an SG16 telecon will be held
tomorrow, Wednesday December 9th, at 19:30 UTC (timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20201209T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pst&p3=tz_mst&p4=tz_cst&p5=tz_est&p6=tz_cet>).

The original calendar invite for this meeting had a duration of 2 1/2
hours. That was my mistake; the duration is our typical 90 minutes.
Thanks to Hubert for alerting me.

This meeting will be conducted via Zoom. To attend, visit
https://iso.zoom.us/j/8414530059 at the start of the meeting. Please
contact me privately if necessary for the meeting password.

The agenda is:

  * P2093R2: Formatted output <https://wg21.link/p2093r2>
      o Continue discussion.

Please review the summary of discussion for P2093R2 at our last telecon
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#november-11th-2020> and
further discussion on the SG16 mailing list starting at
https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/11/1941.php and continued at
https://lists.isocpp.org/sg16/2020/12/1950.php. Please enjoy a good
belly laugh at the mojibake exhibited there. Prompted by those
discussions, please be prepared to discuss:

  * The association between the (compile-time) execution encoding and
    the (run-time) locale sensitive system encoding and the proposed use
    of the (compile-time) execution encoding to affect choice of
    (run-time) system encoding.
  * Differing output behavior for various languages; bytes for C,
    Fortran, Go, Rust and encoded text for Java, C#, Perl, Python. Is
    this a bytes or text facility?
  * How transcoding failures should be handled (due to both ill-formed
    input and (if relevant) non-convertable characters).
  * How programmers can bypass implicit transcoding in order to format
    raw bytes; or whether they should be able to.
  * How transcoding can be separated from the formatting facility; or if
    it should be.

No decisions are anticipated at this meeting, but direction polls may be
taken.

Tom.