[SG16] SG16 meeting summary for October 14th, 2020

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 23:24:33 -0400
The summary for the SG16 meeting held October 14th, 2020 is now
available. For those that attended, please review and suggest corrections:

  * https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#october-14th-2020

No decisions were made at this meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 28th, from
19:30-21:00 UTC (timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20201028T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pt&p3=tz_mt&p4=tz_ct&p5=tz_et&p6=tz_cet>).
The draft agenda is:

  * P2194R0: The character set of C++ source code is Unicode
    <https://wg21.link/p2194r0>
      o Continue discussion.
  * P1885R3: Naming Text Encodings to Demystify Them
    <https://wg21.link/p1885r3>
      o Review updates since the review of D1885R2 in Prague
        <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21prague/SG16D1885R2>.

For the review of P2194R0, if you haven't already, please (re-)read
section 5.2.1 (Character Sets) of the C99 rationale document
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/C99RationaleV5.10.pdf>,
especially the "UCN models" section.

We may not get to P1885R3. In the event that we do, please recall that
we previously forwarded this paper in Prague knowing that we would
review a future update. This is that review. Corentin invested the
considerable time necessary to identify a number of encodings that are
not accounted for in the IANA DB by cross referencing encodings
supported by Windows, GNU iconv, and the WHATWG encoding standard.
We'll review that list and give the proposed interface a quick once over
to refresh ourselves on it and look for any last tweaks to be
suggested. The intent is *not* to re-litigate the design.

No decisions are anticipated at this meeting, but direction polls are
expected for P2194R0.

For any new attendees: The meetings are video conferences conducted via
Zoom. If you are planning to attend, please test your system by
visiting https://zoom.us/test before the scheduled meeting time.

Tom.