Re: [SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:02:49 -0400
Great, here is the change I'm making to address this:

    Protocol designers:

      * If possible, mandate use of UTF-8 without a BOM; diagnose the
        presence of a BOM in consumed text as an error, and produce text
        without a BOM.
      * Otherwise, if possible, mandate use of UTF-8 with or without a
        BOM; accept and discard a BOM in consumed text, and produce text
        without a BOM.
      * Otherwise, if possible, use UTF-8 as the default encoding with
        use of other encodings negotiated using information other than a
        BOM; accept and discard a BOM in consumed text, and produce text
        without a BOM.
      * Otherwise, require the presence of a BOM to differentiate UTF-8
        encoded text in both consumed and produced text*unless the
        absence of a BOM would result in the text being interpreted as
        an ASCII-based encoding and the UTF-8 text contains no non-ASCII
        characters (the exception is intended to avoid the addition of a
        BOM to ASCII text thus rendering such text as non-ASCII)*. This
        approach should be reserved for scenarios in which UTF-8 cannot
        be adopted as a default due to backward compatibility concerns.

Tom.