Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] New draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 12:19:39 -0400
On 6/30/20 10:49 AM, Corentin Jabot via Core wrote:

> [...]
>> associated character encoding. If a *character* lacks [...]
>>
>> Maybe : Each codepoint denoted by a single basic-s-chars,
>> r-chars, simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and
>> universal-character-names is encoded to a code unit sequence
>> using the string-literal's associated character encoding. If that
>> codepoint lacks representation in the associated character encoding,
>>
>> Note that codepoint isn't particularly meaningful in this context
>> , could be "element", for example. The point is the sequence is
>> not converted as a whole.
>> Changing that is design ( I don't have a terribly strong opinion
>> either way, but it needs to be discussed outside of core, notably
>> because it would allow implementation to handle combining
>> characters differently).
> Again, that wording reflects prior CWG guidance. Since the (wide)
> execution encoding is implementation-defined, I don't agree that
> this reflects a design change, but I defer to our benevolent CWG
> chair to make that determination as he sees fit.
>

> Please understand that none of my comments are addressed at you , but
> rather at the proposed wording, which I understand is following cwg
> guidance. I am disagreeing with that guidance
>

>>> It's also a terrible reason as c-char and UCNs are Unicode
>>> characters at this point and cannot correspond to a
>>> statefull character as the source of the conversation. The
>>> thing they are converted to being an implementation defined
>>> sequencee of code unit, the possibility of a state shift is
>>> implied.
>>
>> What are you referring to as a "terrible reason"?
>>
>> That
>> > The intent is to make it clear that these sequences are encoded
>> as a group. This is necessary for stateful encodings with SI/SO
>> characters since such characters don't necessarily contribute a
>> code unit sequence on their own
>>
>> Either:
>> - These characters appear as ucn and they should in fact
>> contribute to a code unit sequence
>> - They are used as part of a stateful source encoding and would
>> have not been conserved past phase 1.
> In discussion elsewhere, we've discussed the example of a
> decomposed 'é' and noted that at least some compilers will encode
> the 'e' and combining acute separately, perhaps substituting a
> character for the combining acute if the execution character set
> doesn't support combining characters as distinct characters.
> Unless someone has proven otherwise, I believe it would be
> conforming for an implementation to convert the decomposed code
> point sequence to a composed character that is representable in
> the execution encoding (e.g., ISO-8859-1; noting that such
> normalization is not desirable for Unicode encodings). I see no
> reason to be more restrictive here.
>

> We have established elsewhere that implementation can't currently do
> that in phased 5 and that they should not be allowed to (we didn't
> poll that , but either ways this paper changes the status quo)

I don't agree that has been established. If you feel otherwise, please
provide a reference. I don't think this changes the status quo since
both translation phases 1 and 5 are implementation-defined (and I
believe it has been established that implementations are granted
considerable freedoms here; e.g., trigraphs and implementations that map
"private" to "public").

Tom.