Re: [SG16] New draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 16:49:29 +0200
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 16:32 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> * multi character literal
>
> Which is then mostly symmetric with the table for strings.
> The bullet point then describes these odds behaviors, which again is not a
> behavior change. We are just talking about naming and presentation.
>
> (multi character literal does need a name, both because it always had one,
> and because it has a different type - also it is also somewhat used)
>
> Whether you consider these literal kinds anti-features is not relevant.
> Again, I don't see how giving them names is a bad thing; it doesn't
> legitimize them any more than describing them in a bullet list does. A
> name can acquire both positive and negative connotations. The current
> direction in the paper reflects CWG guidance. If you would like to
> participate in the next CWG review of this paper and argue your position,
> please feel free. I don't intend to argue it further in this email thread.

>>> The intent is to make it clear that these sequences are encoded as a
>>> group. This is necessary for stateful encodings with SI/SO characters
>>> since such characters don't necessarily contribute a code unit sequence on
>>> their own. This was also requested during the 2020-03-23 issues
>>> processing telecon
>>> <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21summer2020/IssuesProcessingTeleconference2020-03-23>
>>> .
>>>

>> The effect is that I can encode things like e,U+0301 as a single code
>> unit, which at the very least should not be allowed in a wording change.
>>
>> Please read the wording again. I don't think it states that. If you
>> still think it does, please elaborate in detail.
>>

> You use the term character ( which in this context is synonym of abstract
> character)
> The sequence of *characters* denoted by *each contiguous sequence *of
> basic-s-chars, r-chars, simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and
> universal-character-names ([lex.charset]) is encoded to a code unit
> sequence using the string-literal's associated character encoding. If a
> *character* lacks [...]
>
> Maybe : Each codepoint denoted by a single basic-s-chars, r-chars,
> simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and universal-character-names is
> encoded to a code unit sequence using the string-literal's associated
> character encoding. If that codepoint lacks representation in the
> associated character encoding,
>
> Note that codepoint isn't particularly meaningful in this context , could
> be "element", for example. The point is the sequence is not converted as a
> whole.
> Changing that is design ( I don't have a terribly strong opinion either
> way, but it needs to be discussed outside of core, notably because it would
> allow implementation to handle combining characters differently).
>
> Again, that wording reflects prior CWG guidance. Since the (wide)
> execution encoding is implementation-defined, I don't agree that this
> reflects a design change, but I defer to our benevolent CWG chair to make

Please understand that none of my comments are addressed at you , but
rather at the proposed wording, which I understand is following cwg
guidance. I am disagreeing with that guidance

>> It's also a terrible reason as c-char and UCNs are Unicode characters at
>> this point and cannot correspond to a statefull character as the source of
>> the conversation. The thing they are converted to being an implementation
>> defined sequencee of code unit, the possibility of a state shift is implied.
>>
>> What are you referring to as a "terrible reason"?
>>
> That
> > The intent is to make it clear that these sequences are encoded as a
> group. This is necessary for stateful encodings with SI/SO characters
> since such characters don't necessarily contribute a code unit sequence on
> their own
>
> Either:
> - These characters appear as ucn and they should in fact contribute to a
> code unit sequence
> - They are used as part of a stateful source encoding and would have not
> been conserved past phase 1.
>
> In discussion elsewhere, we've discussed the example of a decomposed 'é'
> and noted that at least some compilers will encode the 'e' and combining
> acute separately, perhaps substituting a character for the combining acute
> if the execution character set doesn't support combining characters as
> distinct characters. Unless someone has proven otherwise, I believe it
> would be conforming for an implementation to convert the decomposed code
> point sequence to a composed character that is representable in the
> execution encoding (e.g., ISO-8859-1; noting that such normalization is not
> desirable for Unicode encodings). I see no reason to be more restrictive
> here.

We have established elsewhere that implementation can't currently do that
in phased 5 and that they should not be allowed to (we didn't poll that ,
but either ways this paper changes the status quo)

> SI/SO characters exist in Unicode and can therefore be represented as
>> UCNs. In translation phase 5, an implementation can treat them as part of
>> a shift sequence when converting to the execution encoding.
>>
> Again that is a design change
>
> Per prior comments, I disagree and trust that the CWG chair will make an
> appropriate determination about this.

Sure. I'd be happy to participate to the review, let me know!