Re: [SG16] Emojis in identifiers

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:23:58 -0400
On 6/19/20 11:07 AM, Steve Downey via SG16 wrote:
> While we don't exclude scripts generally, by not doing script
> analysis, the lack of ZWJ and ZWNJ makes some words in Indic scripts
> problematic. The examples in
> https://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Layout_and_Format_Control_Characters are
> relevant. Zero Width Joiner and Zero Width Non-Joiner are used in
> Farsi, Malayalam, and Sinhala.
Perhaps a revision of the paper can note the possibility of such script
analysis as a possible future direction?

> Wikipedia
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_joiner#Examples mentions
> Devanagari and Kannada, although it appears that recent editions of
> Unicode may have added explicit characters in Devanagari to
> alleviate the problem.

It isn't clear to me that we have a good list of scripts that are
(partially) excluded by P1949R4. Is it reasonable to identify that set
and include it in a revision? Perhaps noting that Unicode is evolving
to better handle them such that they will not be excluded in the future?

> Script recognition would also be necessary to identify the "emoji"
> script to allow sequences, as well as expanding the repertoire of
> allowed characters to include the currently explicitly disallowed
> emoji, the ones that were known at the time the allowed character
> ranges in C++ was put together.

And finally, perhaps the next revision can acknowledge this as a
possibility and attempt to qualify the technical impact? I suspect JF
will want to poll inclusion of emoji, so the more we can do to inform
EWG on the consequences of doing so, the better.

Tom.