Re: [SG16] Emojis in identifiers

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:07:34 -0400
While we don't exclude scripts generally, by not doing script analysis, the
lack of ZWJ and ZWNJ makes some words in Indic scripts problematic. The
examples in
https://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Layout_and_Format_Control_Characters are
relevant. Zero Width Joiner and Zero Width Non-Joiner are used in
Farsi, Malayalam, and Sinhala.

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_joiner#Examples mentions
Devanagari and Kannada, although it appears that recent editions of Unicode
may have added explicit characters in Devanagari to alleviate the problem.

Script recognition would also be necessary to identify the "emoji" script
to allow sequences, as well as expanding the repertoire of allowed
characters to include the currently explicitly disallowed emoji, the ones
that were known at the time the allowed character ranges in C++ was put
together.