Re: [SG16] Emojis in identifiers

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:26:06 +0200
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 00:13, Ville Voutilainen via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 21:55, Jens Maurer via SG16
> <sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > So, it seems we would increase consensus in EWG if we
> > added emojis to the valid identifier characters.
>
> While my views on this matter should be well-known by now, I have a
> question about this.
> What is the rationale for emojis in identifiers?

I am actually not sure that there is a strong one, but as P1949 will remove
support for the few emojis that happen to be supported,
there is some push back.
The fact that C++ allows some emojis seems rather accidental as it only
allows a subset of them (in a way that is problematic in terms of
diversity).

I could give you some reasons like, maybe it appeals to young people
learning the language or it's fun in slide code / twitter poll.
But the truth is, in languages that do support them ( Swift , raku), it
seems barely used beyond a novelty effect, and it would have a
non-negligible cost
both for us and implementers.

Either way, the status quo is not satisfactory, support needs to be fully
added or fully removed.

I hope we understand that making sure people can write code in their native
language is a different matter than allowing emojis.