Re: [SG16] [isocpp-ext] Virtual evolution meeting on Unicode identifiers, Thursday June 18th @ 10AM Pacific

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 11:35:20 -0400
On 6/18/20 9:35 AM, Alisdair Meredith via Ext wrote:
> Late question looking over the paper.
>
> How does the restriction of identifiers to follow the Unicode
> specification compare to the C standard Annex D?

The C++ status quo matches C standard annex D. So the new restrictions
would produce the same incompatibility with C as with C++20.

> I ask, as I am wondering if we want some more wording
> for C++ Annex C.5 [diff.iso] on which identifiers may (or may
> not) be used in shared code.

Yes, the proposed [diff.cpp20.lex] wording should be duplicated in
[diff.lex] <http://eel.is/c++draft/diff.lex>.

Assuming the proposal is adopted for C++, a proposal for C should also
be submitted. The SG16 issue tracker includes a task to do so at
https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16/issues/56.

Tom.