Re: [SG16] Agreeing with Corentin's point re: problem with strict use of abstract characters

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:57:14 +0200
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 20:44, Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Supposed I'm on an EBCDIC-only system.
>
> If I understand correctly, EBCDIC has a host of control characters
> that can't be represented in Unicode (while preserving semantics);
> the mapping that exists re-uses some Unicode control characters,
> but with different semantics.

Yes, the C1 control characters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C0_and_C1_control_codes#C1_control_codes_for_general_use

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC#Definitions_of_non-ASCII_EBCDIC_controls

Suppose one of those EBCDIC control characters is mapped to \u1234.
> What if \u1234 also appears as such in my source code, obviously
> intending to mean the Unicode semantics?
>
> I think I'd like to have at least the option of getting a
> syntax error (I asked for a Unicode control character that
> doesn't exist as such on EBCDIC), but it seems the mapping
> will give me the EBCDIC control character with different
> semantics. (All of this in a string literal, of course,
> so it hurts when performing output.)

The idea is that the C1 control characters on an EBCDIC platforms are
always considered to be the EBCDIC character they map to.

Unicode defines them as follow (Unicode 13, 23.1 Control Codes)

There are 65 code points set aside in the Unicode Standard for
compatibility with the C0 and C1 control codes defined in the ISO/IEC 2022
framework. The ranges of these code points are U+0000..U+001F, U+007F, and
U+0080..U+009F, which correspond to the 8- bit controls 0016 to 1F16 (C0
controls), 7F16 (delete), and 8016 to 9F16 (C1 controls), respectively. For
example, the 8-bit legacy control code character tabulation (or tab) is the
byte value 0916; the Unicode Standard encodes the corresponding control
code at U+0009. The Unicode Standard provides for the intact interchange of
these code points, neither adding to nor subtracting from their semantics.
The semantics of the control codes are generally determined by the
application with which they are used. However, in the absence of specific
application uses, they may be interpreted according to the control function
semantics specified in ISO/IEC 6429:1992. In general, the use of control
codes constitutes a higher-level protocol and is beyond the scope of the
Unicode Standard. For example, the use of ISO/IEC 6429 control sequences
for controlling bidirectional formatting would be a legitimate higher-level
protocol layered on top of the plain text of the Unicode Standard.
Higher-level protocols are not specified by the Unicode Standard; their
existence cannot be assumed without a separate agreement between the
parties interchanging such data.