Re: [SG16] Agreeing with Corentin's point re: problem with strict use of abstract characters

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:44:52 +0200
Supposed I'm on an EBCDIC-only system.

If I understand correctly, EBCDIC has a host of control characters
that can't be represented in Unicode (while preserving semantics);
the mapping that exists re-uses some Unicode control characters,
but with different semantics.

Suppose one of those EBCDIC control characters is mapped to \u1234.
What if \u1234 also appears as such in my source code, obviously
intending to mean the Unicode semantics?

I think I'd like to have at least the option of getting a
syntax error (I asked for a Unicode control character that
doesn't exist as such on EBCDIC), but it seems the mapping
will give me the EBCDIC control character with different
semantics. (All of this in a string literal, of course,
so it hurts when performing output.)

Hubert, is my understanding above correct?

Jens