Re: [SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow (Wednesday, 2020-06-10)

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 02:56:04 +0200
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 00:32, Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:21 PM Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 23:06, Hubert Tong <
>> hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> I am still evaluating the round-trip mapping for EBCDIC.
>>>

>> I believe Unicode -> EBCDIC round trip perfectly using the process
>> described in https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr16/tr16-8.html
>> The tricky part is the control characters, which this TR maps to the C1
>> unicode control characters
>>
> I'm not questioning the ability to round-trip. I am questioning the
> ability to avoid conflating certain EBCDIC control characters with certain
> C1 control characters. For example, it seems clear to me that U+0096 START
> OF GUARDED AREA and U+0097 END OF GUARDED AREA are paired in the intended
> usage, but the mapping of these to, respectively, Numeric Backspace and
> Graphic Escape does not retain semantic meaning. If such EBCDIC characters
> appear within a literal that should be encoded in a Unicode encoding, I
> find it potentially questionable if the string is considered well-formed. I
> have similar thoughts for the case where a UCN escape for such a C1 control
> character appears in a string that is to be encoded in EBCDIC.

Yes, the mapping of ebcdic control characters is not semantically
preserving.
However, Unicode does not encourage UTF-EBCDIC outside of EBCDIC platforms,
as such I think we would be hard pressed to find a scenario in which it
makes sense
to encounter both in the same program.
FYI that mapping is apparently also recommended by IBM
https://www.ibm.com/downloads/cas/G01BQVRV