Re: [SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow (Wednesday, 2020-06-10)

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 13:28:30 -0400
On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:48 AM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> This is your friendly reminder that an SG16 telecon will be held tomorrow,
> Wednesday June 10th, at 19:30 UTC (timezone conversion
> <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20200610T193000&p1=1440>).
> To attend, visit https://bluejeans.com/140274541 at the start of the
> meeting.
>
> The agenda for the meeting is:
>
> - Discuss terminology updates to strive for in C++23
> - P1859R0: Standard terminology character sets and encodings
> <https://wg21.link/p1859>
> - Establish priorities for terms to address.
> - Establish a methodology for drafting wording updates.
>
> This may be useful for an intermediate stage of the process of updating
the wording:

Basic source character set:
set of abstract characters used for the description of source code for the
purposes of this document

I think the "basic source character set" fails to be a "character set". I
believe the elements of a character set are mappings of values to abstract
characters.

re: Basic execution character set: I believe that these characters have
some restrictions on their values and encoding. It would help to call these
out with a note to the definition.

re: Execution character set: I have qualms about claiming representability
of these in a char character literal. The term is intended to encompass
abstract characters whose encoding is multibyte.

re: 3.1.2: You mean wchar_t?

re: wording, we should not remove the indication that the interpretation of
character or string data is affected by locales.

The paper is not clear that the definitions section is intended to be
considered wording. From a procedural point of view, this is a serious
problem.

The terms should come from the ISO/IEC 10646 definition. The Unicode
definitions fail to meet drafting requirements from the ISO/IEC Directives,
Part 2.