Re: [SG16] Redefining Lexing in terms of Unicode

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 23:23:01 -0400
This is the main reason to fix the lexer/grammar — they no longer
correspond closely enough to the physical systems to be useful models.

The 'basic source character set' is an entirely abstract set of symbols,
corresponding to nothing in either actual source or actual compiled
translation units. The 'execution character sets' are similar. They are
symbols and may or may not be encodable into the resulting program. There
are good ways of discussing these problems today, but not in the language
of the standard as it is.

If '@' can be represented in a character literal of some kind is not the
same question as if if is available to name an operator. Conflating those
questions isn't useful.

The cost of understanding the C++ abstract lexer is large, and is of little
value outside of modifying it, as actual compilers have since "as-if"ed
around it. It's an ongoing cost. Technical debt.

To answer Jen's implied question from upstream:
"While the use of universal-character-names might appear
a bit baroque to Unicode-oriented people, it seems to work
nicely. "

Unicode-oriented people are essentially everyone today. No one who works
with text today, including people who work on computer language text
outside C and C++ Standard, expect or will deal with anything else.
Discussing decoding actual source files into 'source character set' and
encoding into 'execution character set' values is a lossy translation
hindering actual discussion of what C++ implementations do.