Re: [SG16-Unicode] In response to NL029

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 08:10:54 +0000
On 11/3/19 2:39 AM, Yehezkel Bernat wrote:
> I'm sorry if this isn't the right place/thread to ask it:
This is a fine place to ask.
> Why do we allow non-ASCII characters in identifiers at all? Wouldn't
> life be simpler if identifiers must include only ASCII alphanumeric
> characters?
> I know I assumed it to be the case until lately (when I started
> reading the relevant papers here.)

This feature was added in C++11 when support for
universal-character-name escapes were added. I wasn't involved in the
committee at the time, so I don't really know the history. The relevant
paper is N3146 (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1518.htm).

> Or maybe Unicode was allowed in the past and now it's too late to
> change it?

Tom.

> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:sdowney_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Will do.
>
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019, 15:07 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Also, please clarify the document number. I suspect it should
> be D1949R0 (it looks like an extra "1" may have snuck in there).
>
> Tom.
>
> On 11/2/19 3:05 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:
>> Thanks, Steve. Could you please attach this paper to the
>> SG16 wiki at http://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21belfast/SG16?
>>
>> Tom.
>>
>> On 11/2/19 9:44 AM, Steve Downey wrote:
>>>

>>> C++ Identifier Syntax using Unicode Standard Annex 31
>>>
>>> Document #: D19149R0
>>> Date: 2019-11-02
>>> Project: Programming Language C++
>>> SG16