Re: [SG16-Unicode] In response to NL029

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 09:32:21 +0100
On Sun, Nov 3, 2019, 08:39 Yehezkel Bernat <yehezkelshb_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm sorry if this isn't the right place/thread to ask it:
> Why do we allow non-ASCII characters in identifiers at all? Wouldn't life
> be simpler if identifiers must include only ASCII alphanumeric characters?
> I know I assumed it to be the case until lately (when I started reading
> the relevant papers here.)
>
> Or maybe Unicode was allowed in the past and now it's too late to change
> it?

I think implementers do support it/want to support it.
But they don't necessarily do it right and definitely not consistently so I
personally think it's better to specify how to do it to ensure portability
and intoropability with other features such as reflections.

I do think using that feature needs to be done carefully but there are
certainly use cases for it.

> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Will do.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019, 15:07 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, please clarify the document number. I suspect it should be
>>> D1949R0 (it looks like an extra "1" may have snuck in there).
>>>
>>> Tom.
>>>
>>> On 11/2/19 3:05 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Steve. Could you please attach this paper to the SG16 wiki at
>>> http://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21belfast/SG16?
>>>
>>> Tom.
>>>
>>> On 11/2/19 9:44 AM, Steve Downey wrote:
>>>
>>> C++ Identifier Syntax using Unicode Standard Annex 31
>>> Document #: D19149R0
>>> Date: 2019-11-02
>>> Project: Programming Language C++
>>> SG16