Re: [isocpp-sg15] State of the modules today

From: David Blaikie <dblaikie_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 08:48:49 -0700
On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 8:32 AM Jonathan Wakely via SG15 <
sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2024 at 15:31, James via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> > One particular thing I’m puzzled by is the lack of a standard file
> extension accepted by the major compilers.
>
> There is no standard file extension for header files either, or C++ source
> files. It would be _more_ puzzling if we'd gone against the grain and
> standardized a file extension! Especially as the C++ standard doesn't
> require an implementation to even support "file extensions", as the naming
> of source files on a file system is out of scope for the C++ standard.

FWIW, I rather hoped this was an opportunity to correct that variability -
not necessarily in the C++ standard, but at least implementations could've
all chosen to agree to support just one extension... but I think that ship
has sailed now & didn't go that way.