Re: What is the outcome of the 12-12 meeting for the initial question: the location of std module units?

From: Chuanqi Xu <chuanqi.xcq_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:58:28 +0800
I don't think there is a **default standard library** for a compiler. For example, for clang, clang will find the libstdc++ on linux but libc++ on macos. It is actually highly platform dependent. The compiler just hardcode these things in the driver.
And I feel CMake can do such things better. The ability to run in different platforms is a reason of the success of cmake to me.
So the direct answer may be, just to remember it directly with different platforms.
Thanks,
Chuanqi
From:Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Send Time:2023 Dec. 14 (Thu.) 22:31
To: SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
Cc:Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs_at_[hidden]>; Chuanqi <chuanqi.xcq_at_[hidden]>
Subject:Re: [SG15] What is the outcome of the 12-12 meeting for the initial question: the location of std module units?
On Thu, Dec 14, 2023, 09:24 Chuanqi Xu via SG15 <sg15_at_lists.isocpp.org <mailto:sg15_at_[hidden] >> wrote:
I don't think the compiler is responsible to find the metadata file. And `-print-file-name` is just an interface that won't reduce the amount of work to support that
Let's explore that a bit.
Let's say you have a CMake project building against the default system compiler, using that compiler's default standard library.
What are the steps CMake would have to take to figure out where the metadata file is?
Daniel