Re: Proposal for module metadata format to be used by the std library and others

From: Iain Sandoe <iain_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 23:21:13 +0000
> On 13 Dec 2023, at 23:10, Tom Honermann via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 12/13/23 2:45 PM, Daniel Ruoso via SG15 wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023, 13:45 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I think someone mentioned it yesterday, but this will presumably have to account for multilib libraries in some way.
>>
>> This is accounted for in the paper that suggested this. The lookup will try the ISA code before looking for the naked name.
> I don't think a single ISA code suffices as the library variants might be sliced along various feature sets. But I have little experience in this area, so I'm not sure. In most cases, predefined macros probably suffice to build the right BMI.

Right, I think that the “base” for each manifest is one ABI-slice (i.e. a mutually-incompatible binary variant).
That can often be on the basis of flags, rather than just the iSA - e.g. soft/hard float.
Those are (for the most part) installed in different places (the current exceptions [that I know of] to that are macOS and AIX which both support multi-slice archives/DSOs) - so we’d need to handle both circumstances.

We end up with multiple BMI favours (interface-incompatible but binary-compatible) flag sets for each ABI slice.

Iain