Re: Proposal for module metadata format to be used by the std library and others

From: Michael Adams <mdadams_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:57:01 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, Bret Brown via SG15 wrote:
> I do wonder how we make a breaking change and a major version update to the
> schema without using a new filename. At the scale of use of standard library
> implementations, seems like the same file basename will need to represent
> the old and new schemas at the same time, assuming an at least somewhat
> gradual transition as the breaking change is deployed and adopted.

Perhaps, we might consider making the root JSON value an array, where
each element in the array is an object with a complete dataset for
one specific version of the format. In this way, implementations could
provide data formatted for more than one version if desired (for better
compatibility when breaking changes are introduced in a newer version
of the format). It's just a thought, anyways.

Regards,
Michael