Re: Proposal for module metadata format to be used by the std library and others

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:13:34 -0500
On Wed, Dec 13, 2023, 02:17 Olga Arkhipova <olgaark_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Looks like there is not much difference between library manifest and
> module metadata currently. So I think it should not be much harm in threat
> it as a library manifest v0, we can always ignore fields later if we decide
> otherwise.

I think your examples make me think it would be premature to go in that
direction.

There are some folks discussing overall package management, and while I
wholeheartedly agree this is a direction we should go, I don't think we
should block modules on that.

So I'm leaning towards focusing on module metadata for now, knowing that
the wider package management will either refer to this file or embed the
same data in the future.

Daniel