Re: Proposal for module metadata format to be used by the std library and others

From: Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 12:27:35 -0500
On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 12:12:35 -0500, Tom Honermann wrote:
> On 12/13/23 12:00 PM, Ben Boeckel via SG15 wrote:
> > For example, `clang-tidy` looking at Xcode-generator sources in CMake
> > when developing on my Linux machine "works" today even with the broken
> > macOS SDK header includes. Sure, I get noise about `NS*` types not being
> > defined, but I still get useful feedback on the general C++ source.
> > Hopefully that can continue to be the case even if I end up making a
> > bogus `apple.macos` module for things to use.
>
> Sure, that is a form of graceful degradation that works to a certain
> point. Depending on your perspective and needs, it is either a blessing
> or a never ending source of bugs to be fixed.

Yes, it definitely needs an awareness that things are not going to be
perfect; it's not something I would ever advertize as I agree it is in
"keep both pieces" land. But for finding candidate `= default` uses and
missing braces, it saves a lot of time trying to get `clang-tidy`
running on other platforms.

--Ben