Re: [Modules] Should the compiler try to build std module implicitly?

From: Chuanqi Xu <chuanqi.xcq_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 17:16:44 +0800
Hi Boris,
 Yeah, generally agreed. I just had a pretty bad experience when I started to try to build C++ projects : (. It even spent me some time to install cmake correctly. But maybe I am over concerned. It will be 2024 soon.
Thanks,
Chuanqi
Thanks,
Chuanqi
From:Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Send Time:2023 Dec. 4 (Mon.) 15:06
To: SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
Cc:Chuanqi <chuanqi.xcq_at_[hidden]>
Subject:Re: [SG15] [Modules] Should the compiler try to build std module implicitly?
Chuanqi Xu via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> writes:
> When I start to learn C++, I only need to copy a hello world example
> and run:
>
> ```
> clang++ hello.cpp -o hello
> ```
>
> However, with the current direction of std modules, the beginner
> need to install the build systems and try to copy the build scripts
> that them can hardly understand. [...] But it still seems scaring
> to beginners.
If you look at pretty much every new language that tries to compete
with C++ (Rust, Swift, Go, etc), they all come with a build system
and package manager combo, none of them teach beginners by starting
with a direct compiler invocation, and none of those beginners get
so scared that they jump to C++ instead ;-).
It makes sense to teach basics which one can build upon. It doesn't
make sense to teach basics which one will have to unlearn.
C++ build scripts that can hardly be understood is a problem. A
build by convention, at least for simpler cases, could be a
solution (and which is what all the languages listed above are
doing).