Re: A Different Approach To Compiling C++

From: Bret Brown <mail_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:48:36 -0400
Hi Hassan,

First of all, great job on your writeups. They are very well considered. I
appreciate how much effort you're putting into communicating your ideas and
developing better C++ tools.

I have one concern with the last design you shared with us. As far As I
understand currently, we expect that both imported header units and public
module interfaces will need to be parsed multiple times per build graph.
This has been discussed in the ISO Tooling Study Group a bit already, so
it's not a new isea. In short, it's expected that in typical scenarios, the
build system would need to model multiple parses of a particular importable
entity. This is because, unfortunately, some compilation options of the
importing translation unit will need to be used to parse the imported
translation unit.

I think your design could work, though I expect the node identities of the
imported entities need to be tweaked to better model a combination of the
file and the flags used to parse the file. The build system would ideally
know when to just reuse a particular parse of a particular entity,
especially when optimizing for build speed as you are.

Daniel is hinting at this challenge upthread in his reference to
preprocessor state. You can read more about that in his ISO papers that
have been published in the last year, including https://wg22.link/p2898.
Daniel also elaborated on this with diagrams in his C++Now talk this
spring. You can find it here:
https://youtu.be/_LGR0U5Opdg?si=H92b0eyGQd8Vsr0v. Note that Daniel said
upthread that his concerns are satisfied by some new ideas that were
discussed in Varna. But the need for build systems to model multiple parses
per imported interface remains given current understanding.

I suspect certain codebases that are carefully governed might have exactly
one parse per imported unit, but a build system that wants to support
things like existing package management ecosystems, among other examples,
would need to consider a more complicated approach.

Bret Brown