Re: A Different Approach To Compiling C++

From: Vassil Vassilev <v.g.vassilev_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:49:03 +0300
Hi Hassan,

   Thanks for reaching out. I have gone through the thread and I am
still a little confused probably because the approach is quite different
from what we have been used to.

   It seems that there are two aspects that you are proposing: a) the
way the build system describes the build rules; b) how we can
efficiently translate the build rules into action. IIUC in some
languages (duck typing predominantly) they use the language itself to
describe the rules, too.

   The second part is more interesting to me. AFAICT your approach
inverts the build graph /somehow/. Is the aim to provide a "symbol
registry" which upon of the symbol to compile the relevant subgraph? I'd
appreciate if you could describe more verbosely (with examples maybe)
how the process works.

Best, Vassil