Re: [isocpp-ext] Can we expect that all C++ source files can have the same suffix?

From: Iain Sandoe <iain_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:40:26 +0100
> On 25 Apr 2022, at 14:36, Peter Dimov via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Daniel Ruoso wrote:
>> Em seg., 25 de abr. de 2022 às 09:06, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
>> escreveu:
>>> All that's also true without modules, but we still make it possible for
>>> c++ hello.cc
>>> to produce a working hello world executable
>>
>> FWIW, I'd be on board with a proposal for a "trivial build system"
>> interface to be supported in various toolchains with the same command line
>> and options. Maybe we can even convince our toolchain vendors to include
>> such a tool. I think focusing on the compiler executable specifically as the one
>> having to implement that is a mistake.
>
> That's also something we already have, because c++ in the above is
> typically the "compiler driver" executable, which invokes the compiler front
> end, the compiler back end, [the assembler], and the linker.

Agreed, but the driver typically makes decisions about forming commands
based on flags provided and suffixes to files.

(at least for the two I am familiar with) it does not do dependency analysis
nor does it have any need to parse the source.

I suspect it would be better to place the ‘trivial build’ system as a separate
entity (perhaps invoked by the driver) rather than upgunning the driver to
have those properties.

Iain