Re: Exploring another alternative for Distributing C++ Module Libraries

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:00:47 -0500
I think the open question is can we assume that "third-party" (and
second-party) modules are going to be delivered with something like a
library? I know we've talked internally about shipping component modules,
possibly rolled up into package modules, possibly further rolled up into
package group modules, where the package group is usually the library
equivalent. The large thing that is shipped.

At the core, we're trying to find a way to bootstrap from `import
some_module` to something that describes some_module, and I do not see any
practical alternatives for all the build systems out there to having a
locatable file named some_module.something. Finding it in an open search is
the problem. It's either in a place mechanically derived from a file we can
already find, like the library that is the package, or described by
pkg-config metadata, or in some well known location, like
/usr/share/c++/modules/{module-name}. Honestly, as long as I am not
required to scan all files on every accessible filesystem, I could even
live with all of the above, and have a treaty about which to look for
first. Which I suppose would be the TR we're kicking about. I also realize
I don't spend that much time on Windows, where it's less usual to have
shared locations like {/,/usr/,/usr/local}/lib to look for things in, and
instead you point at a directory, somehow, that is the package. Or Conan
does some magic.