Re: [SG15] RFC: Requirements to consume a prebuilt library from arbitrary build systems

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:40:01 -0600
On Wed, Oct 27, 2021, 22:32 Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> A build system that wants to support system-installed libraries on Linux
> will need to support pkg-config. This means that if this effort results in
> a new format (which I believe where this is heading), such a build system
> will now need to support both pkg-config and this new format.

pkg-config is a strict subset of what we're talking about here, so it
should be possible to mechanically convert a new format into a pc file
(with the subset supported by it) and to generate the file in the new
format with all the data that could be extracted from the pc file (which
does mean we need it to support proving only the minimal data that exists
in the pc file).

I think the outcome is that it's a requirement that it should be trivial to
convert the information on any new format to and from existing formats.

Daniel