Re: [SG15] RFC: Requirements to consume a prebuilt library from arbitrary build systems

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:32:54 +0200
Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]> writes:

> So, I'm starting this effort with a request for comments on:
>
> What are things that your build system needs to know when consuming a
> prebuilt library? What are the non-obvious cases? What are the
> architecture-specific details?

A build system that wants to support system-installed libraries on Linux
will need to support pkg-config. This means that if this effort results in
a new format (which I believe where this is heading), such a build system
will now need to support both pkg-config and this new format. I therefore
would like to see a pretty thorough discussion of why the pkg-config format
cannot be extended to support this. Especially since we were able to
successfully extend it to convey the C++20 modules information:

https://build2.org/blog/build2-cxx20-modules-gcc.xhtml#libraries