Re: [SG15] RFC: Requirements to consume a prebuilt library from arbitrary build systems

From: Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:48:55 -0400
On 27/10/2021 14.37, Steve Downey via SG15 wrote:
> Include directory(ies) [-I flags], library directories [-L flags],
> library names [-l flags] .

CMake requires *libraries*. As in, full paths. It significantly less
difficult to decompose that into -L/-l than to reconstruct them from
said flags.

This feels a lot like a rehash of P1313. I would encourage taking a look
at CPS¹ for an idea what sort of information CMake wants.

https://mwoehlke.github.io/cps/)

Also, what problem are we trying to solve? Consuming a single target
when we already know what target we want? Or consuming a *package*? In
other words, does this system advertise what object files it provides
(e.g. if it has both a libfoo.so and a libfoo.a), or is the consumer
expected to already know that information?

--
Matthew