Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Draft: Requirements for Usage of C++ Modules at Bloomberg
From: Daniel Ruoso (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-18 14:21:03

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Makes sense. Is there one of the existing formats (sounds like pkg-config)
> that seems like a fairly good candidate for generalization/being championed
> in this effort, or is it likely that a new format would be created here?

pkg-config is definitely a very viable candidate, but it would move things
a bit beyond the scope of modules and jump into "package management" in
general, which could be a political trap. Making a modules-specific
solution could be fairly straight-forward, and be completely orthogonal to
pkg-config, so that may be more attractive from a pragmatic perspective.

But I want to avoid jumping into the solution before we have consensus on
the requirements.

Older archives