Re: [SG15] Draft: Requirements for Usage of C++ Modules at Bloomberg

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:21:31 -0400
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 2:01 PM Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> - but you cannot discover the graph with a simple lexer
>
> Yes, and I have not found that to be an actual problem in practice. In
> fact there is really nothing new here

You are right that when you look at the translation units you're trying to
build, nothing changes. And, to be clear, I'm not trying to change the
language to preclude the use of macros in the source files themselves.

What I'm advocating for is that when you have a pre-built artifact, having
to re-run that preprocessor for the module interface files at best is
repeating work that was already done when the library was built, at worst
may introduce an ODR violation. The requirement that I'm presenting is
scoped for when you're consuming modules outside of the current build.