Re: [SG15] Draft: Requirements for Usage of C++ Modules at Bloomberg

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:00:57 +0000
  * but you cannot discover the graph with a simple lexer

Yes, and I have not found that to be an actual problem in practice. In fact there is really nothing new here (other than recognizing the ‘import’ directives and friends) in the non-module world: the ol’ C and C++ standards allow

      #include HEADER

where HEADER comes from macro expansions and all the other stuff that you mention about inability to use “simple lexer”, conditional inclusion, etc. As a PSA, I would like to disabuse anyone who ever thought that grep was sufficient to compute dependency of C or C++ source files pre-C++20.

Maybe it is my dinosaurus status showing bleeding out here but are we rehashing the same arguments from the past?

The one thing we can do for the community is to have a library readily available to anyone who ever thought that a simple lexer is sufficient to compute C++ source file dependency. That would be a major step forward.

-- Gaby