Re: [SG15] [isocpp-ext] Modularization of the standard library and ABI stability

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 22:51:26 +0100
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, 22:01 Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash via Ext <
ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Do we have any ABI stability concerns regarding modularizing the standard
> library? Certainly for strong module ownership implementations, this is a
> concern, but for weak module ownership implementations it may be a concern
> too, because the mangling of internal implementation details with module
> linkage would change.
>
> Can implementations overcome this with special hacks for the standard
> library that preserve the old mangled names?

My understanding is that implementations that care about ABI will have to
put implementation details in the global module fragment.

I have no idea about what the strong ownership model can do to
solve this problem.

I question the benefits of both the weak model and the solution of puting
everything in the global module fragment as neither do anything for odr.