Re: [SG15] module source suffixes

From: Mathias Stearn <redbeard0531+isocpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 17:59:38 +0200
On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 5:50 PM Nathan Sidwell via SG15 <
sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 8/29/19 1:02 PM, Olga Arkhipova via SG15 wrote:
> > I’d like to better understand the reasons why people find new file
> > extension for module interface sources problematic/undesirable. Can
> > somebody describe some scenarios where new extension will cause problems
> > while having modules with old extension will not?
>
> The compiler, editor build system & users will all need teaching about
> the new extension.
>
> Some build systems presume the file's basename is sufficiently unique to
> use as a key.

Also some compilers, including at least clang and gcc. What will the .dwo
files be named for foo.cpp and foo.cppm? Unfortunately, at the moment I
don't think there is any way to control that file name, so users and build
systems won't be able to work around this.