Re: [SG15] module source suffixes

From: Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:08:16 -0400
On 26/08/2019 11.53, Ben Boeckel via SG15 wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:18:57 -0400, Nathan Sidwell via SG15 wrote:
>> 2) It requires teaching all your tools (and users) that the new suffix
>> means C++.
>
> FWIW, I don't think CMake is going to care much.

Indeed, build systems and compilers may not care much. However, editors
almost certainly will. (At minimum, syntax highlighting data will need
to be updated.) So will MIME types databases. It may be worth keeping in
mind that not only things like editors will change, but also any library
or program (e.g. `file`) that tries to produce a "file type" designation
for a file.

That being the case, there may indeed be an argument to be made against
introducing a new extension unnecessarily.

--
Matthew