Re: [SG15] Extending p1184 for direct transfer of BMIs

From: David Blaikie <dblaikie_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 12:45:35 -0700
On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Lyberta via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> David Blaikie:
> > share constant memory mapped files between multiple compilations
>
> How do you do this?

My understanding is the OS does this itself - if you memory map a file
read-only, it can share memory pages with other processes that are also
doing that?

> > What sort of filesystem race conditions do you have in mind?
>
> Anything that modifies the BMI or makes it inaccessible.

I would expect the BMIs to be within the domain of the build system (like
object files being passed to the linker later on) - and if something goes
messing around in the build system's directories... they get what they
asked for? (similarly deleting object files or otherwise modifying them
yourself/with something other than the build system is bound to cause
problems & the answer is generally: don't do that)

- Dave