Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] Filename requirements for the SG15 TR

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 07:35:37 +0100
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 06:19 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> IS is to allow recommending 99% solutions that provide the best experience
> for the vast majority of users while not necessarily being applicable to
> everyone. Platforms and codebases where the TR recommendations don't make
> sense are free to alter them for their platform, or just come up with
> completely different solutions to the problem. To me, this also implies
> that we are allowed to say that this TR doesn't support files with invalid
> unicode names, however that is best expressed on your platform. On windows,
> that means that the path must meet the requirements of UTF-16, not just
> UCS-2. On utf8-native platforms that have "bag-o-bytes" file names, it
> means that we don't support files with invalid utf8 in their names. On
> non-unicode platforms, that means either transcoding to/from utf8 on the
> way in and out of the json format, or coming up a different format,
> accepting that it will be specific to your platform.
>
> I think platform specific differences are acceptable, but we should strive
> for general solutions.
>
> I think the committee currently has a UTF-8 bias that doesn't necessarily
> reflect the global C++ community. We don't have much representation from
> Japan or China where, as I understand it, Shift-JIS and GB18030 still have
> significant usage. We also have few, if any, z/OS users in the committee
> outside of IBM representatives. UTF-8 dominates the web, no one questions
> that. But within the C++ ecosystem, I don't think UTF-8 dominates to a
> similar degree, at least not outside of the US and Europe. I wish I had
> data to back that up.
>

> I also thought one of our goals was to describe a subset of what is
> technically supported by the IS, that if you stay within these bounds, you
> will have the least trouble on a majority of platforms. This means that we
> may want to recommend additional restrictions on file names than just "well
> formed unicode", such as:
> * Don't have files that differ only by case (broken on case-insensitive
> filesystems)
> * Don't have files that differ only by normalization form (broken on at
> least OSX)
> * Stick to a small set of characters as word separators (maybe any of "
> .-_", definitely not ':')
> * Avoid "poisoned" pathnames like PRN and CON
>
> I think these are good guidelines and agree with recommending them.
>

> And perhaps we should also make recommendations that are likely to
> increase sanity, such as:
> * Don't use characters that are squashed by the NFKC/NFKD transformation
> (eg the Angstrom character)
> * Don't have control characters in file names
> * Don't mix scripts within a single path component or module identifier
> * Don't start source file names with a dot
> * Use one of the "blessed" file extensions for your source code (we can
> have a big tent of blessed extensions, but naming a C++ source file haha.py

I think we could even recommend plain ASCII (or something that can be
mapped to) in file names - even a subset of ASCII.
It doesn't remove anything from users IMO, avoid a lot of issues and is
portable so that the code can actually be shared across platforms.

But there may be various levels of specifications:

DON'T have control characters in file names
PREFER only using characters in the ASCII character set