Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] Path to modules with old bad build systems

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 01:10:09 -0500
Thank you for this write up, Ben.  This all strongly matches what I've
been thinking.

The listed constraints suggest some requirements:
1. Means to determine if a header file is a modular header unit.
2. Means to map modules IDs to module interface unit source file names.
3. That pre-built packages provide:
3.1. The above information for their modular headers and module
interface units (packaged software can't require consumers to perform a
scanning step).
3.2. The source files for module interface units (packaged software
can't require consumers to consume BMIs).

Clang modules has already solved these problems in a way that I believe
1) has proven deployable, 2) that programmers have shown willingness to
use.  The following is heavily based on how Clang modules works today.

Elaborating on #1 above.  P1103R2 states in 2.3.4p2:

    "When a *#include* appears within non-modular code, if the named
    header file is known to correspond to a legacy header unit, the
    implementation treats the *#include* as an import of the
    corresponding legacy header unit. The mechanism for discovering this
    correspondence is left implementation-defined; there are multiple
    viable strategies here (such as explicitly building legacy header
    modules and providing them as input to downstream compilations, or
    introducing accompanying files describing the legacy header
    structure) and we wish to encourage exploration of this space. An
    implementation is also permitted to not provide any mapping
    mechanism, and process each legacy header unit independently."

For the purposes of the TR, we'll need to define a mechanism for
nominating a header file as a header unit.  Clang modules accomplishes
this via a module.modulemap file that must be co-located with the header
file.  When processing a #include directive, Clang searches include
paths normally for a matching header file and, if a module.modulemap
file is present, scans it to see if the header file is associated with a
defined module.  If it is, then the header is treated as a header unit,
otherwise (or if module support is disabled), it is treated as a
traditional header.  I like this approach for several reasons:
1. It doesn't require any new search paths.  Existing include paths suffice.
2. Having the module map file co-located with the header files it
governs avoids complicated path matching needs.

If such a module map file is also used to map module IDs to module
interface unit source files, then we can also avoid requiring separate
search paths for module interface units.  An obvious consequence of this
is that module interface unit source files would need to be present in
an include path.

Here's a bikeshed example of a hypothetical module map file.  Please
ignore concerns regarding syntax for now.

// Definition of a header unit module:
header module foo {
   header: "foo.h";
}
// Definition of a module ID and corresponding module interface unit
source file:
module bar {
   source_file: "bar.cppmi";
}

In principle, if we establish strong conventions for associating module
ID and module interface unit source file names, then we can allow
implicitly defined modules without requiring them to be present in a
module map file.  Note that header units can not be implicit however
since an implementation must assume that header files are just headers
unless otherwise informed.

With this model, a compiler/tool need only be supplied with include
paths just as they are today. Resolving a module import (whether via
#include, import <>, or import id) only requires scanning include paths
for matching header names and/or module map files.

Tom.